Thursday, September 14, 2006


Don't even say it. I know what you're thinking, and you're right. I agree wholeheartedly. Now that we've got that over with, let's move on...

I had a great visit in Ottawa and the Eastern Townships last month. The flight up was not great, despite my being cozily ensconced in buisniess class. You see, I have great difficulty sleeping on a plane, don't ask me why, though in this case, it may have had something to do with the snoring Japanese businessman beside me who reeked so badly of alchohol fumes, that I was glad that no one would be using a lighter onboard. *woosh!* I could picture it...

Anyway, Steph picked me up at the airport and I was only too happy to settle into the spare bedroom shortly after arrival to revive myself with a two-hour nap. Amazing what a few zzz's can do for one's mental alertness. Of course, I don't think Steph would have let me drive without it. ;)

It was nice to hang out for a few days, visiting and visiting, eating and visiting some more. There are babies galore and happy parents and granparents and me, the fabulous aunty. Heheh, I think I'll have cards made up. Everyone looked good and it was such a pleasure to be surrounded by friends and family again, if only for a short while.

I owe Steph a huge thanks *blows kisses* for the loan of the little Honda Civic ("it goes") to drive down East and all over Bolton Center, Mansonville, Stukely and beyond. It saved us a bundle of money and came with a book of CD's! "Blessed is the compact disc, for it shall deliver thee from the monotony of radio." On the way back to Ottawa, unfortunately, the weather was so terrible (BUCKETS of rain) that I could not spare the attention to change the disk for about two hours. As a result, Sarah McLaughlan's "Building a Mystery" album was etched into my brain for over a week after I got home. Poor Phillip was an innocent bystander and victim to my perpetual humming and did not go unscathed.

The flight back was much nicer, and it was good to come home to a husband (and a pooch) that missed me. Granted, Phillip was slightly less effusive in his greetings. He didn't try to lick my face even once. Scuttle was her usual self... "Oh. Were you away? I didn't notice."

The weather here has settled into a very pleasant string of days ranging in the mid to low 20's. Ahhhh! I must admit. The climate has grown on me, like a barnacle. No seriously, I remember when we first arrived saying "so what?!" about San Diego's fabled moderate temperatures, but now I gripe if it hovers too long near 30 or if I have to wear a sweater to go out at night. We're spoiled, I admit it. Still, that doesn't mean I don't miss the snow, but I think I've adopted Phillip's practical attitude; if we want, we can visit the snow.

Speaking of which, I don't know how many of you we've broken the news to, but after reviewing Phillip's time off schedule and our finances, we realize that we were hasty in our assertion that we would be visiting for Christmas this year, and for that, our apologies. As much as we'd both love to, it really isn't feasible this year. I'm bummed about this, for several reasons, as you might guess, but on the upside, we are going to be here for the cold months and throwing wide our doors to anyone who wishes to drop in for a visit. The only time we will be away will be a few days in December to go to Vegas for some shows, and then in March for Joan's birthday weekend in Florida. :) Looking forward to both!

Well, this has gone on long enough. I hope to hear back from you when you have a minute. Take care, be well!

No comments: